|Points to consider
||Many of our teammates have questions… and we don’t have all the answers. They look to us to re-assure them… but we don’t know what the future holds.
Here are a few key points to consider when communicating in a crisis:
- Know the facts – learn as much as you can about the current situation before speaking to your team.
- Tell the truth – don’t sugar coats things or hide troublesome facts.
- Don’t make predictions about the future. If you’ve been through similar situations, share your experiences – but don’t make promises about how things will turn out.
- Acknowledge peoples’ fears, but challenge them to set them aside. If you’re afraid too, say so, but tell people how you’re getting on with your business.
- Focus attention on the here-and-now – the actions we can take to deal with this situation.
- Express confidence and support for people. Let them know you care about them and believe in them.